Zemea® Propanediol, a Natural Ingredient for Personal Care Products
Zemea® propanediol is a versatile, bio-based humectant for cosmetic formulations.
Benefits include its high purity, lack of skin irritation or sensitization, improved humectancy and excellent sensory characteristics. Studies also have shown that Zemea® propanediol can boost the efficacy of preservatives and potentially reduce the amount of preservatives needed in formulations.
Zemea® propanediol is certified natural by the Natural Products Association (NPA) and considered a derived organic ingredient under the definitions of ISO 16128-1.
It can replace petroleum-based glycols such as propylene glycol, butylene glycol, and glycerin in formulations.
Zemea® propanediol can function as a:
- Hand-feel modifier
- Viscosity enhancer
- Preservative booster
- Botanical extraction and dilution
- Carrier for active cosmetic ingredients
- Natural ester in cosmetic ingredients
- Cosmetic ingredient in natural preservative systems
Zemea® propanediol benefits include:
- No skin irritation or sensitization
- Excellent sensory characteristics
- Enhanced preservative efficacy
- Improved humectancy
- Better viscosity
- Enhanced clarity
- Excellent cloud point
- Increased foaming (if desired)
- Freeze/thaw protection
- Heat stability
Zemea® propanediol is ideal for many applications including: